CMSS has partnered with the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) to launch the NAM Scholars in Diagnostic Excellence program with funding from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation. This new program will support up to 10 scholars in a one-year, part-time remote experience to enhance the scholars’ knowledge and skills in diagnostic quality and safety, and accelerate their career development toward becoming national leaders in the field. Scholars will build upon the work of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine consensus report Improving Diagnosis in Health Care (2015) and propose the implementation of projects that will improve diagnosis and reduce diagnostic errors at the national level. Read the full Press Release (October 15, 2020)
“We are very pleased to partner with the National Academy of Medicine on the new Scholars in Diagnostic Excellence program,” said Helen Burstin, CMSS chief executive officer. “Given the depth and breadth of CMSS’s membership, this new scholars program presents an important opportunity to offer strategies to address diagnostic excellence across the full house of medicine.”
The Call for Applications opened on January 4, 2021, with the first cohort of scholars to begin their program participation in July 2021. An NAM-appointed advisory committee will select scholars who are interested in focusing on diagnosis-related work from a broad range of disciplines and professions — including physicians, advanced practice clinicians, quality experts, informaticians, and researchers. Beginning in July 2021, scholars participate in a structured online curriculum, cohort learning activities, and professional networking opportunities through the NAM and CMSS. In addition, each scholar will be matched with a personal mentor who can provide subject matter/technical expertise for the work of the scholar and/or professional guidance to the scholar.
Each scholar will receive a stipend of $35,000 that can be used towards salary offset, support for specific research efforts related to diagnostic excellence, and various program-related activities. Each scholar will also receive an additional $5,000 to cover domestic travel expenses for program-related activities
Information for Applicants
Application Timeline and Deadlines:
- January 4, 2021 | CFA opens
- January 21 (11am ET) & February 2 (3pm ET), 2021 | Applicant webinars are held
- March 3, 2021 (3pm ET) | CFA closes (Application Deadline)
- April 2, 2021 | Selection of finalists is made
- May 3, 2021 | Announcement of the scholars is made
- July 1, 2021 | Scholars begin the program participation
The program seeks exceptional individuals who:
- Have earned a doctoral degree* in a relevant discipline and completed all post-graduate training
- Have confirmation from academic department, health system, or equivalent that they have— and can dedicate— sufficient time to participate in the NAM Scholars’ program activities and complete their proposed program in the allotted time
*M.D., D.O., Ph.D., D.N.P., Dr.P.H., etc.
Key program details are outlined in the NAM Scholars in Dx Ex 2021 Overview.