Promoting Diagnostic Excellence Across Medicine
In 2022, the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation awarded a grant to the Council of Medical Specialty Societies to promote diagnostic excellence across the field of medicine. In its inaugural year, the CMSS Promoting Diagnostic Excellence Across Medicine, with additional support from the John A. Hartford Foundation, was able to provide grants to 11 specialty societies. Read more on the 2022-23 grantees below.
CMSS is pleased to support another round of grants to specialty societies for the Promoting Diagnostic Excellence Across Medicine grant program. With renewed funding of the program by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and support from the John A. Hartford Foundation, CMSS has again provided 11 grant awards to CMSS members for 2023-24.
These awards will support the development of resources and programs focused on diagnostic excellence, including diagnostic safety, quality, and equity. We look forward to advancing diagnostic excellence across medicine together.
2023-24 Grant Awardees
From a field of 18 exceptional grant proposals submitted by member specialty societies, the following societies were selected as grant recipients. See the press release here.
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) - Promoting Diagnostic Excellence: Diversity, Diagnostics, and Dermatology
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) - Promoting Diagnostic Excellence Across Medicine in the Older Adult – Ruptured AAA Missed Vascular Event
- American Epilepsy Society (AES) - Improving Clinician Competence in Use and Interpretation of EEG: A Matter of Safety, Quality, and Equity
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) - Narrowing Health Disparities in Diagnostic Evaluation of Iron Deficiency Anemia through Clinician-directed and Patient-focused Interventions
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) - Promoting Diagnostic Excellence by Improving the Communication of New Cancer Diagnoses
- American Society of Nephrology (ASN) - Promoting the Use and Understanding of the new eGFR Clinical Algorithm
- American Urological Association* (AUA) - Promoting Diagnostic Excellence and Health Equity in Urology Care
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) - Promoting Effective Communication of Pathology Results While Meeting the Various Needs of Patients and Members of the Care Team
- American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) - “How We Do It”: CHEST Experts Weigh In
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) - Developing a Feedback Mechanism for Receiving ICU Clinician of Patients with Sepsis
- Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) - Advancing Diagnosis and Staging for Early Detection and Treatment of Peripheral Artery Disease to Prevent Amputation
*Recipient of The John A. Hartford Foundation award
2022-23 Grant Awardees
From a field of 24 exceptional grant proposals submitted by member specialty societies, the following societies were selected as grant recipients. See the press release here.
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) - Penicillin Allergy Testing Improving & Expanding Needed Treatment (PATIENT) Program
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) - Ophthalmology’s First Diagnostic Excellence Initiative
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) - Improving Diagnostic Excellence in Ambulatory Pediatrics: The Pediatric Quality Minute Series
- American College of Physicians (ACP) - Promoting Health Equity Through Excellence in Diagnostic Decision Making
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)* - Diagnostic Excellence of Dementia and Cognitive Impairment in the Surgical Setting
- American Psychiatric Association (APA) - Promoting Diagnostic Excellence in Eating Disorders
- American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)* - Perioperative Diagnostic Excellence for the Older Adult: An Educational Initiative
- American Thoracic Society (ATS) - Scaling Up the ICU-PAUSE for Diagnostic Excellence & Equity: A Cross-Societies Collaboration of Intensivists and Hospitalists to Improve Patient Safety at Transitions of Care
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) - Towards a Patient-Centered Pathology Report: A Mixed-Methods Diagnostic Excellence Study
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) - Using Education and Technology for Accurate and Rapid Cycle Sepsis Diagnoses: Building an Equitable and Quality-Based Diagnostic Excellence Program
- Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM) - Crowdsourcing to Develop an Educational Intervention on the Diagnostic Process: Special Emphasis on Mitigating Racial Disparities in Diagnosis of Acute Coronary Syndrome
*Recipients of joint Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and The John A. Hartford Foundation awards
Sarah Imhoff, Senior Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Suzanne Pope, Senior Advisor, email@example.com